India hosts over 700 universities and more than 35,000 affiliated colleges enrolling more than 20 million students every year. And as each new batch passes the higher secondary exam with stellar results, they struggle with finding the right jobs.
Times have changed drastically – this is no longer the era where a graduate degree is considered special. To rise above your peers and crack the opportunity of their dreams, most students opt for various post-graduation courses, or M.Phil, or Ph.D. Many even go for short-term diploma or online certifications courses.
These courses allow you to pivot your degree if you took up an under-graduate course out of peer pressure, or lack of clarity. They allow a chance to start over, or to deep-dive further into your preferred field. It also helps gain preference with recruiters and gives you access to better opportunities and salaries.
Most professional courses also incorporate a host of industry-related assignments and introduce students to real-world scenarios, they teach how to handle such situations using professional tactics.
Now that you are aware of the benefits of professional courses let’s take a look at (arguably) some of the most trending professional courses after graduation!
- PMP Certification
PMP stands for Project Management Professional and PMP certification is one of the most distinguished professional certificates across the world for Project Management. While PMP certification isn’t the sole determinant of experience or capabilities for Project Management professionals, it certainly denotes a mark of competence and knowledge of the field. The certification course introduces students with various project management tools and techniques while also offering hands-on project training. During the course, you not only learn how to manage project timelines, how to best use the project resources, and how to deliver projects within a set budget.
Having a PMP certification could help you land well-paying job roles in Manufacturing, Finance, IT, Healthcare, and any other industry requiring project management roles.
Some of the best institutions offering this course in India:
- Project Management Institute (PMI)
- ISEL Global (Institute for Skill Enhancement &Learning)
- L&T Institute of Project Management (L&T IPM)
- S. P. Jain Institute of Management and Research (SPJIMR)
Most of the courses are distance/online, so the duration is up to you. However, there are some institutes that offer structured, hourly-moduled courses:
- Product Management Certification Program (UpGrad) – 160+ hours of learning and training.
- Project Management Professional Training Course (ExcelR) – 35 hours of training.
Usually, most of the PMP courses require a Bachelor’s degree and a few years of experience in project management.
Depending on the institution you choose, your PMP course fee will range anywhere between Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 50,000.
A PMP certification adds further credibility to your experience and knowledge, thereby making you fit for senior level roles in Project Management. You can bag promising job roles like Product Designers, Product Analyst, Product Manager, Associate Program Manager, and Product Owners and Heads.
- PGDM or M.Sc. in Business Analytics
Business Analytics, in essence, is a process that combines data analytics and business intelligence on a large set of data, to gather insights that aid in making future business strategies and plans.
This is a branch of management and science that uses exploration as a tool to analyse present data and gather insights for planning and execution of future business goals and strategies. Business Analytics is aimed at optimizing processes, increasing revenue by saving on operational costs, improving customer relations, and predicting future trends – thereby enabling accurate strategic business plans.
Masters in Business Analytics offers training and knowledge to develop skills for making business plans and strategies of the future based on accurate analysis of the available data.
Some of the best institutions offering this course in India:
- IIM Calcutta, ISI Kolkata, and IIT Kharagpur
- Praxis Business School
- Manipal ProLearn
Course Duration: 1-3 months
Eligibility Criteria: STEM background is preferred, and if pursuing from University, a graduate degree is required.
Depending on the college you opt for, the total fees can range somewhere between 1,20,000, to 8,00,000 per course.
A business analyst’s primary role is to mend the gap between IT and management of any organization, by using analytics tools. The fact that organizations today have heaps of data with them makes Business Analytics an increasingly lucrative career path. There are many firms and consultancies that hire freshers for profiles like assistant business analysts, etc., that can give the right push to your career in analytics!
- Master’s in Data Science
Data science has deservedly earned its nickname as the sexiest job of the 21st century because, in a world where 2.5 quintillion bytes of data are produced every day, a professional who can organize this data to provide business solutions is indeed the hero!
A McKinsey Global Institute study agrees. It states that by 2018, the world will face a shortage of about 190,000 professionals with deep analytical skills. With the Big Data wave showing no signs of slowing down, there’s a rush among global companies to hire Data Scientists to tame their business-critical Big Data.
Some of the best institutions offering this course in India:
- IIM Calcutta + ISI Kolkata + IIT Kharagpur: They offer a 2-years full-time course with 18 months of industry training and 6 months internship.
- Praxis: Praxis, Gurgaon, offers a 1-year full-time course with 9-months training and 3-months internship.
- IIM Bangalore: This is a 6-months part-time course held at the Bangalore campus. It is a course meant for people with 4+ years of experience.
Eligibility Criteria: Since it’s a Master’s course, the necessary requirement is to have a Bachelor’s degree.
Depending on the institute and comprehensive of the curriculum, as well as the training method (LMS or classroom), the course can cost anywhere from INR 50,000 to INR 600,000.
As of May 2019, the median salary for a Data Scientist role is Rs. 622,162 according to Payscale.com. According to a report, the total number of analytics and data science job positions available are 97,000. Graduates can find roles as data scientists, architects, administrators, analysts or even Business Intelligence Managers in any organization that deals with large volumes of data.
- Chartered Financial Analyst
For those students who lean towards finance over STEM, Chartered Financial Analyst is a very credible course to pursue. While Chartered Accounting was the course of choice for commerce students earlier, CFA has arisen to become a top choice because of its global and comprehensive curriculum and opens up a variety of very lucrative job opportunities in investment banking, research analysis, portfolio management, or financial strategy.
The program focuses in-depth on portfolio management, financial modeling, and other investment related areas.
This program is split into 3 levels:
Level I –
This level focuses on the introduction to equity, fixed income, alternatives, etc. Other than that, it also gives you an insight into detailed learning of tools like Financial reporting and analysis, Economics, Quants, etc.
Level II –
This level dives higher into the valuation of assets like equity, fixed income, derivatives, and financial statement analysis.
Level III –
Level III of CFA focuses on perspective changes into Portfolio Management of the assets and Wealth Planning.
The candidate must hold an international passport, and one of the following:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree,
- Be in the final year of your bachelor’s degree program ( any degree program),
- Have four years of qualified, professional work experience,
- Have a combination of work and college experience that totals at least four years
Clearing all the three levels of the exam is the main requirement for earning the CFA® charter.
For the Level I exam, the candidate will have to pay one-time program enrollment fees of USD 450 apart from the Registration fees. The Registration fees for all the levels are as follows:
|Registration Type||Fees||Deadline (Approx.)|
|Early Registration Fee||USD 650||8 Months before the exam date|
|Standard Registration Fee||USD 950||4 Months before the exam date|
|Late Registration Fee||USD 1380||3 Months before the exam date|
As a CFA, you can land high-paying jobs in investment firms both nationally and globally.
- Certification in Digital Marketing
With everything moving online, the days of using only billboards and flyers as marketing tools are long gone. Businesses are now looking to increase and maintain brand awareness using digital mediums. According to surveys, the Digital Marketing Industry contributes a lot to the employment sector. The year 2017 saw more than 1.5 lakh Digital Marketing related jobs, and the figure escalated to more than 2.8 lakhs in 2018. It is also expected that by 2020, most of the brands will have (or look to build) a solid online presence, thereby strengthening the claim that Digital Market is indeed a booming field.
A course Digital Marketing, whether a short-term certification program or a full-time degree, will acquaint you with everything essential around driving various channels of Digital Marketing, including:
- Search Engine Optimization
- Search Engine Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Inbound Marketing
- Content Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing, and more.
Notable courses, and the institutes offering them:
- Certified Digital Marketing Master (CDMM) by Digital Vaidya: This is a 6-months long course which comes at a price of INR 49,900 + 18% GST and offers plenty of study material and resources.
- Executive Program in Digital and Social Media Marketing by IIM Calcutta: This is a 6-months part-time course conducted by IIM Calcutta. If you’ve completed your Bachelor’s, you’re eligible to apply for the program.
- Executive Development Program in Digital Marketing by XLRI Jamshedpur: This program is 4-months long and is conducted online by XLRI Jamshedpur. The structure of this course is such that anybody who’s interested in learning the nuances of Digital Marketing can benefit from it – whether an executive, or a mid-level employee, or even an entrepreneur.
- Master’s in Digital Marketing by Delhi School of Internet Marketing: This institute is hailed as one of the leading Internet Marketing training providers for both professionals and students. This is a 2-year long classroom course that covers all nuts and bolts of digital marketing.
As mentioned earlier, the course duration depends on the type of program you opt for. With Digital Marketing, you have the flexibility to opt for either a 4-months long certification course or a 2-years long full-fledged degree.
Most of the certification courses don’t have strict eligibility criteria, but some might require you to have a Bachelor’s degree.
Digital Marketing is surely one such field that has gained immense popularity in the last decade or so and isn’t looking to stop anytime soon. According to Payscale, the starting salary of a Digital Marketing Manager is Rs. 5LPA and above, depending on the skillset. Other than that, a certification in Digital Marketing opens avenues to job profiles like:
- Market research analyst,
- Content marketer/manager,
- Digital marketing consultant,
- SEO Manager,
- PPC Search Manager,
- Email marketer, and more.
So, there – we have informed you about the top five trending professional courses that you can take up after your graduation. While choices are many, it is essential to first have a clear understanding of your innate interests, passion, and strengths before choosing the next step after graduation. Once you figure this out, everything else will become way easier.
Latest posts by upGrad (see all)
- How Blockchain is Changing the Future of Finance Industry? Everything You Need to Know - September 20, 2019
- What is the Future Scope of Blockchain Technology in India? In-Depth Prediction - September 19, 2019
- Data Analyst Vs Business Analyst: Which One You Should Take? - September 19, 2019